Fit Families Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) is a successful behavior change program targeting primarily families of 2-4 year old children enrolled in WIC at Fit Families projects in Wisconsin. Fit Families coaches empower families to adopt healthy eating and physical activity behaviors. The Fit Families employs three core messages and one over-arch message to combat overweight and obesity:
- Move More…Watch Less
- Encourage Fit Families participants to engage in active play or physical activity for at least 60 minutes every day and to reduce screen time to two hours or less each day.
- Make Every Bite Count…More Fruits and Vegetables
- Encourage child and their parents to eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Make Every Sip Count…More Healthy Beverages
- Encourage Fit Families to reduce or eliminate use of sugared beverages.
- Eat Healthy, Be Active: Your Kids are Watching
- Encourage parents to be good role models for their children.
Families enrolled in Fit Families will make an individual healthy habits goal that they will work on for 12 months. The Fit Families coach follows up with the family monthly for guidance, support, and tools to make the changes. Participants receive incentive prizes to help motivate the healthy behavior changes.
For more information about the Fit Families Program contact the La Crosse County WIC Program: Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.