Healthy Living Heroes Sought
Formed in 2009, the La Crosse Healthy Living Collaboration (HLC) brought together groups working on nutrition, physical activity and tobacco control. The mission of HLC is to make living tobacco free, eating healthy and being physically active the norm among La Crosse County residents. We are representatives from the community, area schools, public health, private businesses, health care and family serving agencies working to make La Crosse County the healthiest county in WI.
Through collaboration and successful grant writing HLC has implemented their 2009-2011 strategic plan. Collaboration successes include:
- Passage and implementation of a Green Complete Streets ordinance in the City of La Crosse and Complete Streets policies by La Crosse County, the City of Onalaska and the Villages of West Salem and Holmen. Complete streets makes it easier and safer for community members of all ages and abilities to be active.
- Encouragement of area school children and employees to actively commute to work and school through the implementation of Safe Routes to School initiatives at 13 area schools and active commuting initiatives at 12 worksites.
- Implementation of a county wide Farm to School Program increasing school children and staff access to fresh, local fruits and vegetables.
- Increased access to healthy options when dining away from home through expansion of Gundersen Lutheran Medical System’s 500 Club healthy dining program.
- Improved access to fruits and vegetables through expansion of the Foot Steps to Health fruit and vegetable promotion program.
- Expanded physical activity opportunities for senior citizens through the Strong Seniors strength training program.
- Supported successful implementation of WI Act 12- Smoke-free Workplace law in Wisconsin.
The La Crosse County Health Department serves as fiscal agent and point of contact for the La Crosse Healthy Living Collaboration. For more information call 608-785-9872 or email Tiffany or Paula, co-coordinators.