We are having another Nature Hike on August 31st, and this time we will be heading out to Holmen! Join us on the McGilvray Bridges Road trail; see the flyer for details. Note–if the water level of the Black River at Galesville is above 6′ (see http://www.7bridgesrd.org/access-during-floods.html), we will have to cancel the hike due to high water.
La Crosse County WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Program encourages families to visit local farmers’ markets!
The La Crosse WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) provides a one-time food benefit per growing season to WIC families. Each family receives checks that are redeemed at local farmers’ markets from June through October. Approximately 40 La Crosse area farmers participate in this program.
The goals of the La Crosse WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) are:
• To provide WIC participants with checks to purchase locally-grown fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs at farmers markets.
• To provide WIC participants with nutrition education and the resources to encourage the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs.
• To increase the awareness and use of local Wisconsin farmers’ markets.
Abbie Loos, Nutrition Educator at La Crosse County says, “The Farmers Market Nutrition Program is such a great benefit for both our WIC families and for our farmers. Sometimes our families have never visited a local farmers’ market. The checks encourage them to try something new, and they benefit from having healthy produce to eat. The farmers’ see this benefit too.”
WIC participants have through October 31, 2016 to spend their Farmers’ Market checks. If you are interested in learning more about the La Crosse County WIC program or would like to know if you qualify, contact us at 608-785-9865 or apply online here.
To view a complete list of local farmers’ markets click here!
August 1st-7th is World Breastfeeding Week. The world breastfeeding week 2016 theme is about how breastfeeding is a key element in getting us to think about how to value our well-being from the start of life. For more information about the World Breastfeeding Week Theme click here.
You can help us to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week in La Crosse! Check out some ideas below!
- Join us at The Big Latch On event that is taking place this Saturday, August 6th!
- Selfies Sunday! Breastfeeding moms can use the hashtag #mybiglatchon on Sunday, August 7th. The Big Latch On organization will count all of the breastfeeding moms and expressing moms that post pictures from around the world.
- The National WIC Association and Salud Today are partnering together to promote support for breastfeeding moms. Take a picture of yourself eating your lunch or snack under a towel or blanket and post it using the #FeedingUnderCover.
- Check out our Western Wisconsin Breastfeeding Coalition Facebook Group or Webpage. Consider joining our the coalition and supporting our activities!